As you remember, we are in the process of building a 10X10 shed in our backyard. This is a project we have had on our to-do list for a very long time. Don’t ask me why we chose to do this during an Ohio winter. According to my husband, all we needed was three days of fairly good weather and we’d be done.
So we started the project by creating the cement floor right before Christmas. And we did finish that on Day One. Then the snow came. And stayed.
However, we had a major warming front come through over the weekend and on Saturday morning we were out again in the wet and muddy back yard to work on the project. This time we started to put together the frame for the shed.
Things I have learned so far:
• My son is much better to work with after he has eaten something for breakfast and drinks an energy drink (preferable a LARGE energy drink). Especially if we are expecting him to be up and useful before 9:00 am on a Saturday.
• My daughter has her work schedule perfected so that she ALWAYS has to work when we plan shed building time.
• Our two dogs love to hang around outside with us all day. And they absolutely do not care that their feet end up all wet and muddy from the melted snow. However, this was definitely a bad time to install a new pet door so our Golden Retriever can go back into the house whenever she wanted.
• There is a difference between a sump pump and a septic pump. I learned this when I was banished from the work site due to arguing with the building foreman and told to remove the standing water from the top of the pool cover. (I also am not a good worker before 9:00 am on Saturday. Unfortunately for me, NOTHING is going to make me in a better mood short of putting my ass back to bed).
• There are different hammers. And my husband is extremely picky about which one he wants to use. Next time I am going to print out a label so everyone knows which one is his and no one else can touch it.
I will admit that I am not horribly useful with this project. My son bitched at me saying “all you do is stand around and watch.” I told him this wasn’t true, I also picked up all the dog crap from our work area, replaced water bottles and tided up the trash. It isn’t my fault I am not allowed to touch the drill, can’t hammer a nail straight and am not strong enough to move heavy stuff. Okay, so when my husband told me to measure the 117 boards to make sure we had the proper number, I did disappear for 30 minutes until he did it himself. I have no idea the difference between a 3X5; 2X4 or 1X2 nor was I going to measure every single one of them. A task that would have taken me half a day was completed by him in less than 15 minutes.
What I was very successful in doing was drying the concrete with my hair dryer. We needed to have the concrete fairly dry before we placed the last two anchor boards to the concrete using tubes of gluey stuff. So my job was to place the dryer on the concrete and move it periodically until it was dry. I hate to brag but I was damn good at this.
So by the end of the day we did make some real progress by having the front and back framed and some of the roof done. But then it was supposed to rain (oh, darn!) so we moved everything into the garage at the end of the day so we could continue to work on it.
Only one more day to go and this little project will be completed. At least that is my story and I am sticking to it. Only our three-day project began in December, continued in January and will most probably end in March or April.