Yes it was totally my fault but that isn’t going to stop me from bitching about it.

We were booked on the last flight of the day.  We had a stop over in Atlanta with our connecting flight not leaving until after 10:00 pm. So by the time we landed, got our luggage and found our car in the parking lot (this time I actually remembered where I parked) it was almost 1:00 am when we got home.

But that didn’t mean I could sleep in the next day because I only took four days of vacation, not five. Making sure my usual three alarms were set, I played games on my phone until I was so sleepy it slipped from my hands and hit my face.  Which was my signal that it was time to go to sleep.

The alarm went off the next morning at 5:45 am.  I immediately turned that sucker completely off and turned over going right back to sleep.  At the 6:00 am notification of time to get up, I hit snooze. Okay four times and finally got up right before 6:20 am. Since I was running late, I hurried and got out the door in 20 minutes.

As I backed my car out of the garage (a story I also need to share soon – I’m in the garage!) and headed down the road, I noticed that the car clock said 5:48 am. WTF? I thought it must be wrong but then it was kinda dark out — maybe it was the cloud cover.  As I drove to work, I turned on the car radio.  When Pat and Jill in the morning said it was almost 6 am I was dumbfounded. What the hell happened?

Well, I learned something new. If you are in the Eastern Time Zone and do not remove your “Airplane Mode” from your phone, while you may live in the Central Time Zone, your phone will not. So I was still on Florida time.  And yes, the thought to turn my ass around and go home to sleep for an hour did cross my mind.  But by that point, I was on the highway and committed. Pissed but very committed to the commute.

Good news is that traffic was super light so made good time to work.  And when I parked on the street where there were plenty of spaces so early in the morning.

In the office, Shirley was the first person to mention that I was in early. When I told her what happened, she thought it was pretty funny.  I still did not think it was funny.  I had to have an energy drink to stay awake and as soon as my boss came in, I told her I was leaving at 3:00 pm since I got to work so early. Except I had a scheduled Skype meeting at 3:00 pm so it was actually after 4 pm before I left.  So go ahead and laugh. But I learned my lesson and will never use airplane mode again. Next time I am just going to turn the damn phone off.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s