My husband and I just celebrated our 33rd wedding anniversary. Well, I wouldn’t really say celebrated. We got each other a card and said “Happy Anniversary.” I mean, after you do this 33 times, you kind of know how it is going to go down.
So I got my husband a bag of beef jerky. In his card, I told him that Google said the gift item for the 33rd Anniversary was dried meat. My sister-in-law said it was really dream catchers. I decided to go with the dried meat. My husband is definitely not a dream catcher kind of guy.
He got me a new weed wacker and leaf blower.
Exactly what I wanted! (Again, 33 years means if I want whimsical, I go buy it)
After 33 years I thought I would offer a few notes of what it means to be married for so long:
- I was happy to find out that my husband also checks me in the middle of the night to make sure I haven’t died in my sleep.
- After being sick for two days I found a sick full of dirty dishes and overflowing trash. But that is okay. It will be a cold day in hell before I change a light bulb.
- My husband had been experiencing headaches for over two weeks. I told him to go to the doctor. He said he had an appointment on Thursday. With a dermatologist.
- My husband told me to “send him in” for cigars. I brought back cinnamon (and didn’t even question the request).
- We still argue over bologna sandwiches with mustard vs. bologna sandwiches with mayo and cheese.
- We both secretly love it when the other falls asleep in the living room while watching TV so we can go to bed first and have the entire bed to ourselves.
- We think of each other during the day and then the phone rings and we call each other. Very annoying but happens all the time!
- I forget to tell him that he has to make his famous beans and weenies for my office summer lunch potluck until 8 pm the night before. And he says “You have to be fucking kidding me.” And then makes it.
Looking forward to year 34. If I remember correctly I believe the gift item is wooden kitchen utensils.