I have been using our home office a lot lately. I have various projects I am working on and always enjoy pursuing the Internet for interesting and entertaining news, advice columns, comics and Craigslist ads which I admit is my guilty entertainment. California ads are the weirdest.
But I guess my husband is not very happy that I am in
his our office so much. Over the past several weeks, I have had the following rules explained to me:
- No eating in the office.
- No empty cups or glasses allowed. You are allowed to drink but must remove them once empty.
- Especially no disposing of food items in the office wastebasket. Only paper is allowed.
- He would prefer I do not use the heater because the room should be kept cool. But he knows he would be unreasonable so he struggles with this one. Except for the time when I didn’t put the heater away and he tripped on it. THAT was a super long lecture.
- No paper towels or napkins can be left on top of the desk.
- No lilac scented candles. (I reminded him he got it for me for Christmas but he still said no).
- I have a drawer in the desk. Any papers that I have need to be placed in the drawer prior to leaving.
- I have to shut down the computer when I leave. Even if for an hour. And don’t forget to turn off the monitor as well.
- OMG! DO NOT place ANY sticky notes on the PC! EVER! Evidently this is grounds for losing computer privileges.
Being the understanding wife who listens so well, I respond accordingly:
I do eat in the office. But only when my husband is not at home. And while I do throw food away in the office trash can, I do cover it up with paper so it isn’t noticeable. I have no idea why this is an issue. My husband rarely if ever empties the trash can. That’s my job.
Whenever he walks into the office and accuses me of having my scented candle in there, I tell him I don’t smell anything and offer to spray the horrible air freshener that I know he hates.
I will agree that the heater precariously perched on top of the waste basket (that contains food) is not ideal. But I got tired of moving my favorite heater from the living room to the office every day. I did apologize that he tripped over it and have been more careful about putting it away. Bu I refuse to unplug it every time which is still an issue.
The sticky notes on the PC really isn’t a deal breaker for me. Sometimes I leave one that says “I love you” just because I know it would be hard to bitch about a sticky love note but am pacing myself. It’s really hard not to write one that says: ” Take $1,768 from bank to pay court bill.”
So I think we have come to a truce. I open my little desk drawer, swipe everything off the desk into it and shut the drawer. When he starts complaining about the smell I am sure I will get a new lecture.